Tuesday, March 09, 2004

So let's talk about the Haggaddah. Why not? We got a small one from some institution (one of those) in Israel yesterday, and, as keeper of the family's many haggados (I wish my Hebrew capitalization was consistent), I suppose, it was handed off to me.

So there are 15 steps in the Seder, 14 if you combine motzi-matzah. I recall a classmate back in high school, a religious Christian (he was Yugoslavian, if I recall correctly) pointing out a passage in a religious book he had that was trying to make a point about ordering religious ceremonies. For example, they said, anyone who's been to a Seder will notice how everything happens at the right time. He asked me to explain that a bit, and I tried (I tend to be shy about these things). Anyway, back to the steps.

My point- and this appeals to my neurotic mind- is that there are very few actual steps, or actual steps out of the ordinary. Consider:

Kaddesh: Kiddush, same as we make any Shabbos or Yom Tov. Same, in fact, as we'll make on Day Seven. Cup of wine, as always.

Urchatz: Attached to Karpas, below. Should be done whenever eating veggies, but only comes up when we schedule it- i.e., here. This idea will come up again later.

Karpas: A "Keep the kids interested" minhag, as are many of the Seder. Note that the Vilna Gaon didn't even have it on his ke'arah. The Ramah, on the other hand (who I follow) even has salt water on his. Of course, once I'm done, I remove them. The Ramah sets the ke'arah up in the order everything'll be used. No one makes Ramah plates. I also use celery, because it's green (which is the point, Pesach being a spring holiday) and yummy.

Yachatz: Another minhag, also to keep the kids interested. One wonders how people who use two matzos can do this, if motzi must be made on whole "loaves."

Maggid: Aha! Mitzvah #1. Sippur Yetzias Mitzraim. L'halacha (as per the Mishna), it would involve Mah Nishtana, Mitechila, repeating the Parshas HaBikkurim with explanation (standardized today by saying the Midrash Halakha on it), the three points of the seder, and the beginning of Hallel. To an extent, we also repeat the mishnah itself as long as we're at it.

I have to cut this off. Be back later.