Wednesday, June 09, 2004

I went to hear Ari Fleischer at the Park East Synagogue last night, courtesy of the Republican Jewish Coalition. It wasn't bad- he spoke well, and the place was packed. I still have the same issues from the last time I was there. First, they talk as if the only factors that should go into American Jews' decisions on how to vote are Jewish ones (especially Israel), as if American Jews are written off as doctrinaire liberals who'll never be convinced by anything else (well, maybe they're right). Also, he got the same frickin' question opposing withdrawal from Gaza. COME ON already. Do you want America to tell Israel what to do- only when you disagree with Israel, of course? (Leave aside the fact that Fleischer is not currently in government and had no power when he was.) I wish people would realize that they're Americans, and voting for an American president. Ah well.

Still, like I said, a good time. He's a funny, well-spoken guy. I didn't stick around for the collation. (Edited to add: Some people seemed so down about Bush's chances. Again, come on!)

I had an interesting mental jog this morning: The E train, across the platform from the F in which I was sitting, started moving first- but I looked up only after it started, and my brain told me- and I got the definite sensation- that it was still, and the F was moving backwards. It took a second or two for my addled brain to figure that out. It was too early.

Then again, it's "too early" for me even late into the day. I actually said "got to get printer for the paper" to myself today. And forget about having gantze kavanos during Shacharit, like a friend wants me to, so I can join "the spiritual elite." I can't even piece out what I should do. In discussions now.

Am I mixing Ashkenaz and Sephard pronunciation? You betcha. For a while at my morning minyan, the chazzan (who must've been told- corrected?- that Hebrew stresses the last syllable in general) pronounced every word mi'lera. It got to me after a while, and I found myself doing it. Now, the current chazzan mixes accents. I hope I don't pick that up.

More later, folks.

No comments: