Tuesday, August 14, 2007

"Still a little bit of summer left..."

You know, this week marks the twenty-fourth anniversary of the performance (on CD as "Comedian" and on film as "Delirious") in which Eddie Murphy uses that line. And you know what? I have two cookouts coming up. Neither in "my house!" (Um, no links here, sorry. Family blog. My reviews are on Amazon.)

Brooke Astor has died, R.I.P. Just this weekend I was reading about her, on the penultimate page of Tom Wolfe's "Radical Chic":
And it didn't particularly help the situation that Mrs. Astor got off a rapid
letter to the Times informing them that she was not at the
"party." She received an invitation, like all sorts of other people, she
supposed, but, in fact, she had not gone. Thanks a lot, Brooke Astor.
Yay for Brooke Astor! For so many other things, too! One wonders what the current heiress to the Waldorf will do with herself at 105.

Meanwhile, on hearing of the death of Phil Rizzuto, the first thing that came into my mind (the keychain on Seinfeld, oddly, only arriving later) was the quote from Yogi on hearing of DiMaggio's forthcoming marriage to Marilyn: "I don't know if it's good for baseball, but it sure beats the hell out of rooming with Phil Rizzuto."

Well, a Chodesh Tov to all. Every Rosh Chodesh, during davening (links added in lieu of translations), I am reminded of two Tehillim-related stories. Fortunately, Rosh Chodesh is two days this month, so I hope to post them tomorrow.

Oh, and by the way, Yay! The crass political line aside, I'm actually pretty flattered by the first paragraph of the answer. I should make it my tagline here.

No comments: