Saturday, April 02, 2005


Since I was in the neighborhood, I took advantage of a lull in the action to visit the Folger Shakespeare Library (right behind the Court) and take pictures of all the bas-reliefs of the various plays they have on one wall, as I've long wanted to do. Here's my favorite play. Tom Stoppard's, too, as he once told some girls ahead of me in line at a book signing.

Ah, why not give the whole story? He was discusing, and signing copies of, the screenplay of Shakespeare in Love, a movie I saw who knows how many times. I brought along my copy of Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead for him to sign as well. (That reminds me- I have to order the new DVD.) Anyway, on line ahead of me were two teenagers, who asked him what his favorite Shakespeare play was. "I'm not sure, but it's certainly not 'The Winter's Tale,'" he cracked, before saying it was probably Hamlet. I had a nice little chat with him myself.

No comments: